Biography
T. S. Vaughn
Wilson County, Tennessee



Taken from The Goodspeed Histories of Sumner, Smith, Macon, Trousdale, Conties of Tennessee.

   T. S. Vaughn, T. D., whose residence is on Cole's Ferry pike,
two and a half miles from Gallatin, is a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born in 1820, and the son of Rev. M. S. and Sarah R. (Vaughan) Vanghan. The father was of Welsh descent, born
in Georgia in 1797, and when a child went to Alabama.  He
was married in Wilson County, Tenn., and located at Blount
Springs, Ala., after marriage.  At an early age he took an
interest in politics, and soon became one of the leading
politicians of Alabama, and one of its most influential citizens.
He was one of the framers of the constitution of the State, and afterward served in both branches of the Legislature for several years.  About 1832 he moved to Wilson County, Tenn., and in
1839 entered the ministry, adrocsting the Cumberland
Presbyterian faith. He was both a, circuit and local minister,
having charge of one church eighteen years. Re was also a
teacher by profession, being for twenty-four years principal
of the La, Guardo Academy.  He was a thorough student, and
a gentleman in every sense of the word.  He died in 1871.  For
several years he was engaged in surveying cotton lands in
Mississippi for the Federal Government.  He served through
the war of 1812.  His wife was born in 1798, in Wilson County, Tenn.  She died in 1873.  They had nine sons, only two of whom
are living: T. S. (our subject) and Edmund D., who lives near
La Guardo, engaged in agricultural pursuits.  Our subject
obtained his literary education at the La Guardo Academy, and
when twenty-three Sears of age went to Lake Providence. La.,
and was hired as bookkeeper in a wholesale and retail dry
goods store.  He was there fire years, when he returned and commenced the study of medicine.  He went to the medical
school at Lebanon, Tenn., where he remained eighteen months,
and in 1851 he graduated at the University of Louisville, Ky.,
as an M. D. The following year he lived in Sumner County and practiced medicine. He then went to La Gusrdo and practiced medicine and sold drugs. In 1855 he went to Jackson Port,
Jackson Co., Ark., and resided there ten years, devoting his
time and attention to his profession and meeting with good
success.  In 1863 he came to Bumner County and purchased
186 acres and in 1869 sold out, after which he purchased 186
acres where he now resides. The Doctor looks after the interests
of his farm and does some practicing yet, but has been trying
to abandon his practice for some years. Previous to the late war
he married Miss Mildred A. Lane, a native of Sumner County,
born in 1832, and the daughter of Bennett Lane.  Dr. Vaughan
is a Democrat, a Royal Arch Mason and his wife is a member
of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
 
 



Any questions, suggestions,corrections, and/or additional information, contact me, Linda CONAWAY Welden at:

Linda_Welden@vaughan-vaughn.org

BACK to the Vaughan Vaughn Biographies Index

BACK to the Vaughan Vaughn RESOURCE Page



Copyright Information and Restrictions:
All information from the "VAUGHAN VAUGHN RESOURCE PAGES" has been provided
for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by our
Vaughan Vaughn Discussion Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited.
Permission is Not Granted to copy any files taken from the RESOURCE Page
to other electronic locations whether web pages or list postings